Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
School Options
I'm posting this thread to follow-up on the subject of a few emails earlier in the day -  school options! 

We have a 3rd-grade son and a 6th-grade daughter, who both started at Covenant in K. We have been very happy there. This year we opted to keep them in the virtual/remote classroom, which has worked very well for my daughter but was not practical for my son. Early in the year, we pulled him out to homeschool, although we have outsourced the instruction to 2 former Covenant teachers who are offering Zoom classes. We are planning to send both kids back to COvenant in person next year, but are also keeping our eyes and ears open for other options (I just reached out to Appalachian Christian to get more info). I'd love to hear more about what you all are doing for school, what you like/don't like, your thoughts, etc....
Our kids are in 3rd (daughter) and 6th (son) grade respectively at ACS, and we are very happy with it. It is significantly cheaper than other private schools, < $6K a year. Academics and environment seem great so far, certainly better than our experience at Brownsville. I'd be happy to share more if anyone is interested.
(01-19-2021, 09:00 PM)kevin Wrote: Our kids are in 3rd (daughter) and 6th (son) grade respectively at ACS, and we are very happy with it. It is significantly cheaper than other private schools, < $6K a year. Academics and environment seem great so far, certainly better than our experience at Brownsville. I'd be happy to share more if anyone is interested.

Is this your first year there? What is the class size? And what type of curriculum do they use? (I've got a call in to the school for more info, but would love to hear from a parent as well)
(01-20-2021, 01:57 PM)Sarahbelle Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 09:00 PM)kevin Wrote: Our kids are in 3rd (daughter) and 6th (son) grade respectively at ACS, and we are very happy with it. It is significantly cheaper than other private schools, < $6K a year. Academics and environment seem great so far, certainly better than our experience at Brownsville. I'd be happy to share more if anyone is interested.

Is this your first year there? What is the class size? And what type of curriculum do they use? (I've got a call in to the school for more info, but would love to hear from a parent as well)

Yes this is our first year there, went there mostly to get in-person as virtual with ACPS was a joke. The curriculum is good, they do traditional math (none of the new-fangled methods), English, history and science, plus bible. For older kids the English is actually 'writing and rhetoric', where they really dissect the material, and do refutations and affirmations, which our son seems to really have taken to. There is no adherence to any national curriculum, but they do test annually on nationally normed tests, which is great to be sure the kids are keeping up. To be honest our kids and others coming from Brownsville struggled at first as they were behind the private kids in material and rigor of study, but soon caught up, they were actually pissed that the public school didn't teach them the things the other kids already knew (like multiplication tables, if you can believe it). Online grades get updated daily on an A-F scale, which is very motivating for the kids. The 1-3 scale at Brownsville was awful, now the kids are chasing those A's to get their GPA up. Class sizes are better than public schools, now they're at 12-14 or so, as they have filled up. This is much better than 25-30, as the kids can actually get individual attention. There doesn't seem to be bullying or discipline issues, the kids get 'silent lunches' or a parent slip sent home but we have not had a principal call yet - unlike several a year from Brownsville in the past. I really can't recommend it highly enough, it really got our kids back on track and they actually like school, and have great friends.
(01-20-2021, 04:28 PM)kevin Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 01:57 PM)Sarahbelle Wrote:

Yes this is our first year there, went there mostly to get in-person as virtual with ACPS was a joke. The curriculum is good, they do traditional math (none of the new-fangled methods), English, history and science, plus bible. For older kids the English is actually 'writing and rhetoric', where they really dissect the material, and do refutations and affirmations, which our son seems to really have taken to. There is no adherence to any national curriculum, but they do test annually on nationally normed tests, which is great to be sure the kids are keeping up. To be honest our kids and others coming from Brownsville struggled at first as they were behind the private kids in material and rigor of study, but soon caught up, they were actually pissed that the public school didn't teach them the things the other kids already knew (like multiplication tables, if you can believe it). Online grades get updated daily on an A-F scale, which is very motivating for the kids. The 1-3 scale at Brownsville was awful, now the kids are chasing those A's to get their GPA up. Class sizes are better than public schools, now they're at 12-14 or so, as they have filled up. This is much better than 25-30, as the kids can actually get individual attention. There doesn't seem to be bullying or discipline issues, the kids get 'silent lunches' or a parent slip sent home but we have not had a principal call yet - unlike several a year from Brownsville in the past. I really can't recommend it highly enough, it really got our kids back on track and they actually like school, and have great friends.
Thanks so much for the info! Sounds like a great decision for your family! What is the demographic of the students? Are there alot of families from the Crozet area? One of the things we have struggled with going to Covenant is that most of my kids' friends are in Cville which is not far, but does make getting together a little more challenging.
I would say the demographic of the students is similar to Brownsville/Henley, fairly representative of the area. There are about 10 kids that take the vans from Crozet, some others I know of that self-drive. It's been tough as a lot of the school events that parents would normally been allowed to go to were cancelled due to Covid, but hey at least they are there in person.
I have heard very good things about Regents! Classical education model. At least one local family that I’m sure you know attends there (Amalfitano). We are seriously considering Covenant for 6th grade for our 10 year old since that is the beginning of their middle school. He will be going into 5th grade next year and will stay at St. Anne’s for next year. I DO NOT recommend St. Anne’s. He IS getting a good education and I love them for that. The teachers are definitely kind and capable. And we have been in person for the entire year! But they have bought into the progressive agenda big time since we began there 5 years ago. And tuition is ridiculous.