Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your current stance in our country
Hey all, like many of you I'm sure, I've contemplated what my stance is/should be with all this leftist madness going on. Gone through all the emotions, from anger and wanting to do something to "fight back" to fully accepting communism will be a reality in this country and learn what God wants me to focus on. What is a wise approach and what is rash, unproductive?

Below is an email I got from the epoch times that gave me a perspective...a tall order one.

Where are you on this? Where do you think we go from here?

(sorry couldn't find a link and had to post the whole email)

--------------------------

"I'm not a smart man,
but I know what love is."
         - Forrest Gump

Recently, a friend told me that she’s never seen Forrest Gump before—which is a crime in my house. So I made her watch the movie with me (spoilers ahead).

In light of recent events, this movie has taken on a new meaning for me.

Though Forrest and Jenny started “like peas and carrots,” each of them soon got swept up by a different one of America’s 20th-century cultural currents.

Forrest’s path was classically American: going to college, playing football, serving his country, starting his own business, and going to church.

Jenny, on the other hand, dabbles in counterculture: dropping out of college, becoming a beatnik and then a hippie, joining the anti-war protests, indulging in the sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll of the ‘70s.

In these two characters, I saw a reflection of today’s America—with one side supporting the American tradition and the other opposing it.

Jenny’s path finds her used and abused multiple times, first as a sex worker and then as a girlfriend. While she experiences momentary freedom as a hippie, she eventually devolves into a groupie who steals from the musicians she sleeps with and hits her lowest point when she attempts suicide.

But Forrest never stops loving Jenny, no matter how much their paths deviated from each other. He gets rejected by her multiple times but remains there for her through everything—never imposing, never selfish, never angry, always altruistic.

It’s precisely because of Forrest’s love that Jenny is able to find happiness in the end, and it’s a kind of love that I think we can use more of in our society today.

2020 has shown me the destructive power of the forces that are working against our traditional values. Coming from a communist country, I know that these forces don’t just destroy their enemies: they also destroy the same people who advocate for them.

Many people around me don’t truly understand these forces, however, and they’re people I care for deeply. Like Jenny, they were attracted to the prospect of freedom that these forces offered, and like Jenny, they’re unable to see the destruction that these forces could cause to a person.

It's not easy, but I think that the best thing I can do for them is to be their Forrest. Even though they may seem to be confident in their decisions now, I have to be there for them with compassion and patience. I have to love them simply and selflessly; I have to stay firm in my own convictions and not give up.

For history tells me that one day, they might regret their decisions. When that day comes, they’re going to need someone there to help bring them back.

— Jeanette S.

Marketing Associate, The Epoch Times
Its very hard these days to interact with liberal friends and relatives, the Jennys from the story, in particular because of the stereotyping and pre-judging that they are almost taught to do by the media and political figures. I tried for a while to constructively discuss things, bring up information from alternate sources, point out different viewpoints and fill in missing facts that were hidden by big tech and the media. But unfortunately, they don't want to listen, the idea that their mind-view could be wrong is too scary and they lash out and label anyone that disagrees with them. Its also quite emotionally debilitating dealing with that kind of conflict, in the end I decided to just not interact with the friends and relatives that think we are all racist, white supremacists. Its not worth it, this makes me very sad but its the only rational thing to do.
I agree. I've stopped communicating altogether with most of my extreme liberal friends, it's just so much of a polar opposite that it's like oil and water, can't mix. Trying to not bring up politics/cultural matters was also suffocating, if I can't be myself and speak openly then it's not worth keeping certain relationships. I can't stand being around conversations about being white privileged or free healthcare for all or any of that nonsense.

I didn't really defriend people, but I was vocal about stating my opinion knowing some would get offended and a lot of them defriended me...problem took care of itself. I was uninvited from a couple of social activity groups. And I don't regret it.

My stance right now is...let them be. I will not engage with them or try to fight the cultural war. Maybe it's time to let them run the country as they think is best, more power to you. And when it's burning to the ground they'll learn the hard way, and common sense people will take the lead again. Hard part is, we'll all suffer together and the country can be destroyed. Difficult situation.
This is quite the question! I talked to a conservative friend this weekend who is in his 70s. He offered some perspective. He said, “This is the second time I’ve been through this.” He was referring to the 60s/70s and likened much of what he is seeing now to what he saw then. He also mentioned that an author he admires believes that these kinds of things seem to move in 40-50 year sequences. We had to end our conversation before we could talk more about that. But I will ask him the name of the author. Surely, gaining perspective on events through a longer timeline is worthwhile. 

He reminded me that it is our job, as conservatives, to take care of our families by making sure they’re provided for now and in the future, to love them and raise them up to be strong, independent thinkers who work hard and understand conservative values. Maybe we can’t bear to continue dialogue with the left. I know I can’t right now either. But we can stay strong, gain power in numbers and be open to accept them when they finally may want to listen (if that ever happens). We can vote, we can encourage and support conservative candidates. We can speak up when we can. 

I have more to say on this, but that’s all the time I have for now.
I suspect there may soon be some 'buyer's remorse' from the left, now that their Sauron-like enemy is gone and the cloud of anger is lifted. They are watching their taxes go up, jobs go away, the price of gas go up, cities on the left coast still burning for no reason, no change in Covid and a military industrial complex itching to start new overseas wars. Hopefully after a while the real problems people face daily will override the imaginary ones they have been fed by the media and politicians. I don't expect they'll yearn for Trump to come back, but they may want his economy and his peace back.
It is so hard right now. I am thankful for this group because it is easy to feel alone and isolated in the liberal abyss that is Albemarle County/Charlottesville. It amazes me the things people say, just assuming that everyone is liberal. My small group of close friends and family have joked that we local conservatives need a secret handshake or something - but the scary thing is we do! It is disheartening and angering on a daily basis to read local "news," business posts, personal posts by so many people that have bought into the liberal agenda hook, line and sinker. They espouse Critical Race Theory - not even knowing that's what it is and where it came from - as if it's truth! My husband and I are so reluctant to voice our opinions and mostly just keep our heads down, listening but not talking, except to those we know are "safe" because it could literally ruin our livelihood. It's hard to grasp. We love so many things about Crozet, but have talked semi-seriously about moving out of the area to raise our children in an area where people more closely reflect (or at least are tolerant of) our values.... that still has good healthcare, jobs, arts, restaurants, entertainment, etc - any suggestions? Or are those mutually exclusive? Sometimes it feels like we are living in Wonderland where rules of logic and common sense are completely upside down. There's so much more to say, but work and kid's schooling calls. Again, grateful for this group!
Yes, we should come up with a secret handshake!!! lol

Have you guys watched Turn, Washington's Spies? It's an AMC series. Sometimes I feel like we're living it. Great series if you love the revolution like I do. It's on Netflix.

I don't know any less "sane" urban areas...I'm sure there are, but the older I get the more I want to live in the country. But I'm not raising kids. Sucks cuz I love the arts...but it's mostly people with garbage in their minds these days.
(01-28-2021, 12:36 PM)Sarahbelle Wrote: It is so hard right now. I am thankful for this group because it is easy to feel alone and isolated in the liberal abyss that is Albemarle County/Charlottesville. It amazes me the things people say, just assuming that everyone is liberal. My small group of close friends and family have joked that we local conservatives need a secret handshake or something - but the scary thing is we do! It is disheartening and angering on a  daily basis to read local "news," business posts, personal posts by so many people that have bought into the liberal agenda hook, line and sinker. They espouse Critical Race Theory - not even knowing that's what it is and where it came from - as if it's truth! My husband and I are so reluctant to voice our opinions and mostly just keep our heads down, listening but not talking, except to those we know are "safe" because it could literally ruin our livelihood. It's hard to grasp. We love so many things about Crozet, but have talked semi-seriously about moving out of the area to raise our children in an area where people more closely reflect (or at least are tolerant of) our values.... that still has good healthcare, jobs, arts, restaurants, entertainment, etc - any suggestions? Or are those mutually exclusive? Sometimes it feels like we are living in Wonderland where rules of logic and common sense are completely upside down. There's so much more to say, but work and kid's schooling calls. Again, grateful for this group!

Crozet wasn't as bad 10 years ago, and neither was Charlottesville, both have moved steadily left, Crozet perhaps because of the population influx from a lot of urban or blue areas. Its really sad, because we love Crozet but recently have also thought about moving to Waynesboro or Nelson County to be in a place that is more tolerant of diverse political and moral views, and maybe the public schools are less like Madrassas for liberal viewpoints. I'm also annoyed that the downtown Crozet restaurants just won't open, when you go to Waynesboro and its the total opposite. The Crozet of 10 years ago would be much more like Waynesboro now. Maybe things will swing back in a few years, there are theories out there that here are these multi-decadal swings back and forth, and nowadays we're kind of in the 60's and 70s again. Maybe it takes a while for people to realize that there are real-life negative consequences to the crazy things that are going on now. 

We should definitely come up with a 'secret handshake'. I would have thought a US flag pin would be perfect.
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and it was so good, I wanted to share here. I got her permission to post it anonymously.

Once again, this is a historic (very small historic) occasion because I’m going to post...again. I’ve been trying to order my thoughts, to figure out what I really want to say. I’m feeling more and more concerned as I watch people, regular folks and members of our elected government, continue to be focused on “coming for” people who believe differently. I don’t mean expressing anger at people on both sides who have threatened, intimidated, looted, burned, and assaulted in the name of their cause, but the steady drumbeat of a call to control opinion and speech in the name of stamping out “disinformation”. I am a 65 year old who is concerned about the long term effects of a vaccine that has been rolled out with little information on the long term effects. I am not spreading disinformation or lies if I express my concerns, yet we are heading, if people don’t listen carefully, to a point where speech and opinion are going to be suppressed in the name of the common good. I know that in this age of social media, internet, blogs, activist groups, fear, people grabbing for control and influence on all sides, rage and hate being encouraged on both sides, we all want PEACE and sometimes we are willing to accept anything in order to get it. I have , in my own mind, decided what kind of speech or posts I would block or suppress. I don’t believe in posting death threats, posting personal information like addresses, phone numbers or other location information and suggesting that those people be harassed or threatened. There are other areas where I think there may need to be more policing but I’m speaking of the political arena right now. What I don’t need is “nannying” by corporate tech or our elected officials in deciding what I can read or not. I’m an adult. I’m responsible for reading, learning, forming my own opinions and deciding how I’m going to act. I hate it when any news person or “expert” opens a sentence with “this is what you need to know” or “this is what you need to understand”. Give me the facts, all of them. I’ll decide what I need to know or understand. Don’t tell me what you want me to know in order to get me to do what you want me to do. I have people in my life that I love dearly. They believe all sorts of different things. I’m not willing to disavow any of them because we are not on the same page. We all have to decide where our boundaries are, where we can no longer support an idea we feel goes beyond our ability to accept. But I don’t want ANY outside power broker on any side making that decision for me. I feel like there are people on all sides pointing their finger out, not looking inside themselves as well, and they thinking they are not at risk because they are on the “right side”. Back in high school I read this for the first time. It has always stuck with me. It first started circulating in the 1950’s. If you read it, you might want to substitute more immediate concerns but I think the thought is pretty timeless.

“They came first for the Communists and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.” Substitute words like Progressive or Conservative or Christian or Muslim or a variety of others and this pretty much keeps up with the times.

Thanks for listening.
Great post. The really scary part is that we all know smart and educated, otherwise rational people who completely believe that 75 million people are brainwashed cult members, domestic terrorists and racists. This evening I was told by a close family member that I had a 'defunct brain incapable of empathy', just for criticizing the vaccine rollout as soviet-style, when another elderly family member had to drive for 2 hours, wait for 5 hours in line, then 2 hours home just to get the shot. This is the first time in history when the government controls medicine roll-out completely, its unprecedented and the result is predictably poor. The facts don't matter nowadays and they are not interested in debating the merits of anything, its much easier to reflexively characterize the person that says something they don't like as 'you people'. I actually am quite proud of being 'you people', and something tells me this close family member won't be close much longer. This is sad, but when someone tells you that anyone that voted for Trump is X, Y and Z, and they know you voted for Trump, well, who wants to spend time with someone that thinks you are X, Y and Z and isn't shy about reminding you of it ? Its bigotry against conservatives and patriots, pure and simple.